Join us in Maryville, Tennessee
Thursday, July 26 thru Sunday, July 29
Maryville Friends Church is hosting the 2018 yearly meeting, providing space, food and programs for us.
To reserve meals during yearly meeting, please register by mail or email in a timely manner so we can let Maryville know how many people to plan for.
Below is a brief overview of this year's gathering.
- On Thursday evening, Maryville Friends are providing a wonderful Pre-Yearly Meeting event in the form of a choral play, Black Voices of a Company Town Called Alcoa, Tennessee, presented by a local group called "Voices of the Valley." When Maryville sponsored the same group earlier this year and opened the event to the public, there was standing-room only in their meetinghouse. If you can come for the Thursday evening performance, you'll be glad you did!
- More details of the daily schedule will be forthcoming, but in general, it begins Friday morning at 8:00 with coffee, and continues through singing, Bible study, worship sharing, a short break, and then convening this year's business sessions. Friday will include a half-hour presentation just before lunch from Libbie Curry about the Cuban Friends renovation project. Proceeds from Friday's lunch will be donated to that project.
- Friday afternoon will include a Meeting for Worship & Memorial (1 hour) and then a meeting of Wilmington Yearly Meeting on Ministry & Counsel. For those in attendance not serving on M & C, you'll have some free time with suggestions from Maryville Friends for some cool things to do.
- Friday evening there will be a catered meal followed by guest speaker, John Jeremiah Edminster.
- Saturday morning will again begin with coffee, singing, Bible study, worship sharing and the convening of business sessions. Lunch that day will have a Jamaican flavor and proceeds will go to Jamaica Yearly Meeting.
- Saturday evening dinner will be on our own with suggestions/recommendations from Maryville Friends. The Peace Lecture will begin at 7:00 p.m. Peace Lecturer is Eric Ginsburg of the Friends Committee on Legislation.
- Sunday morning, we will start a little later with the final business session that includes reading of the WYM 2018 Epistle. We will then worship together and Maryville Friends will provide a light lunch before people depart for home.